Google

Thursday, August 2, 2007

La cage de poulet - elle est finie!

The chicken coop - it is finished!

I know, I know... it's been awhile since I have posted any progress or pictures. Well, I went on a so very nice vacation in Maine and just came back this week. That's another topic. But with all that relaxation, I just had to finish the coop. Monday night after work was wet, sticky and humid, so I waited until Tuesday to patch up my leaky chicken coop roof. There was one spot that was pooling the water and then slowly seeping under the rolled roofing and leaking into the coop. So, I added another piece of roofing and then used roofing tar on all the seams. Now that my roof was all patched up, I finally could put up the small fence so the chickens will have room to roam a little. (And I mean little.) Wednesday, after work, I went straight to work and got my fence up. I made sure top put it down into the ground so no tunneling critters will be able to get under and up and eat the birds. Which, by the way, I soon hope to get. Why have a coop and no chickens?? Anyway, here are more pictures of the coop now that it is complete.

Looking inside at the underside of the roof:

Chicken Coop Roof - Inside 1

Another view of the roof from the inside, showing the rope that raises and lowers the door:
Chicken Coop Roof - Inside 2

View of roof with sealant:

Chicken Coop Roof Top 1

Different view of the roof with sealant:

Chicken Coop Roof Top 2

Nesting Boxes and Perch looking from door:



Closer view of nesting boxes and perch:



Here's the fence:

Chicken Coop Fence

And a picture looking at the entire finished product:
Chicken Coop Fence 2

2 comments:

Silvia said...

What kinds of chickens do you plan to get?

Jon said...

Hmmm... good question. Am I supposed to worry about that? I just wanted chickens that worked right.

I was thinking of New Hampshire Reds, since I do live in NH. But anything that can live in cold winter weather such as Orpingtons or maybe Plymouth Rocks will work as well.