Google

Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Chickens are Here!

While I was at work on Friday, my wife and sons went to a local Blue Seal feed store and saw they had chickens that were a month and 1/2 to two months old. They didn't buy any at that time because they knew I wanted to look as well. So, yesterday, after making sure I had some sort of feeder and waterer for the chicks, we went back to the Blue Seal store and picked out our chickens. We also picked up some Blue Seal Medicated Chicken Feed. A 25LB bag was only about 7 dollars. That's not too bad. Not sure how fast 4 chicks will eat this up, but hopefully this will last a month.

Each of us picked out our own. (Except my youngest son, he's only 8 1/2 months old.) I don't know for sure what breeds they are, as the young man helping us didn't know either. I figured (and hoped) if I was buying them in NH, then they were probably ready for the cold winters.

My wife picked out one that she calls Ginger. I believe her to be an Orpington.

She then picked a chicken that will be for our youngest. We named this one Dixie. She has beautiful feathery legs. I don't know what type she would be yet.
My other son, who is almost 10 (one more month) decided he liked the runt of the litter and called this one, Cluckers.

Last, but definitely not least, I picked one that I liked. The one I decided on wasn't the one that I ended up getting because the guy couldn't grab him for me. So the one he did get, which had a diamond on his head, I liked just as well. Just to be different, I named this one, Killer.

So, I really have no idea what breeds these chickens really are. I think Cluckers may actually be the Rhode Island, or NH Red. I guess I'll have to wait until they get a little bit bigger to tell for sure. Unless any of you out there reading this know what breeds they might be. Feel free to leave comments!

In terms of eating these chickens, I don't know if I can now, since every one has a name.... My Aunt kept pigs once that were piglets when I went to go see her. I thought they were so cute I took pictures of them. Then, months later, eating breakfast at home, my mom says, "Did you know that bacon you're eating comes from your Aunt's pigs?" I was mid-chew, and didn't quite know what to think. But, I love bacon so it didn't stop me for long, and I kept on eating.

Here are some more pictures of the chickens:




1 comment:

Silvia said...

Cute chicks! Dixie could also possibly be a buff cochin. We have a partridge cochin that's about 11 wks old right now. Did they tell you if they were brown or white egg layers? And Ginger could also be a red sex-link. I'll be interested to see what Cluckers turns out to be!