Google

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gorgeous Growing Garden

The past few days have been cloudy and rainy. Not all day rain, but enough to make you wonder where the sun is this summer. I don't like it, but our garden does!

The pumpkin plants are growing fast and flowering. The squash plants are huge, but even with all the flowers, no fruit as of yet. I guess squash plants have both male and female flowers, so I'm hoping the flowers are mostly male and this is why the squash hasn't started to grow yet. I haven't looked close enough at the flowers to try and see if I can remember plant biology. (Pistils, stamens, etc. - Hey - guess I remember something!) Tomato plants are great. Lots of fruit growing. Plenty of green grape tomatoes and a few large 'big boy' tomatoes. Can't wait until they are ripe and ready. If our jalopenos, onion and cilantro are ready at the same time, PICO de GALLO is going to be great! Cilantro is actually flowering and huge, so we may have coriander from the seeds instead.

The sunflowers are growing taller, and so are the zinnias. Marigolds are bright and bushy. Wildflower mix of red white and blue are bigger as well - just no flowers on any but the marigolds.

It's pretty amazing to see everything literally grow right before your eyes. So, when the cloudy days and rain make me grumpy - I just have to remember all the good food that it is helping bring to my table!

No comments: