Google

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Garden Varmints

Yes, we had our first experience with some varmint in our garden. I was at work when my wife frantically instant messaged me. I could tell she was practically hyper-ventilating just by reading her words. She told me her garden had been destroyed. We had no sunflowers, pumpkins or squash. She couldn't tell what it was that had eaten the plants, just that it was furry, had a tail and ran on 4 legs. Well, I tried to calm her down and told her I would put up that fence we both now knew we needed to erect earlier.

I came home and saw the damage my wife was talking about. I don't think I would have reacted quite the same way. All our sunflowers were still standing, just had most of the top leaves missing. Same with the pumpkins and one of our squash plants. I would think that since they are still root bound that we should be fine. I dunno - I'm not a gardener, so I guess I may be telling my wife she was right later on.

I took some fallen 2 - 4 inch in diameter trees and sawed them to be about 5 1/2 feet long. Dug post holes around the garden perimeter and put up a green plastic coated wire fence that is 4 feet high. I didn't dig it down into the ground like I should have for woodchucks, so I guess we'll have to cross that bridge later.

Two days have almost passed since the varmint ate our veggies. Fence seems to be working so far! All I need to do now is finish my scarecrow to keep the birds away.

No comments: